Cottage Cheese Toast Ideas (Sweet and Savory)
High in protein, low in calories, and surprisingly delicious. Cottage cheese is making a comeback and today, we’re putting it on toast! Read this article for my three favorite delicious cottage cheese toast ideas… and 10 more ways to serve this nutritious kitchen staple.
Why is toast with cottage cheese so great?
Cottage cheese has long been the target of (undeserved) disgust. And that’s why I couldn’t be more thrilled to see it finally getting the positive attention it deserves.
As a Registered Dietitian, I love cottage cheese because it’s affordable, quick, and nutritious.
And when you put it on TOAST, there’s even more reasons to love it:
- Fast – need a quick and healthy breakfast, lunch, or snack? There’s no faster option than toast with cottage cheese! Toast your favorite loaf, slap on some cottage cheese, and sprinkle with whatever extra toppings you have on hand.
- Low calorie – calories aren’t everything (far from it!) but they are something to consider if you have a goal of gentle weight loss. Choosing low calorie options like cottage cheese on toast can help fill you up without excess calories.
- High protein – if you’re looking to eat more protein but you don’t know how, cottage cheese will be your new best friend. It’s loaded with filling protein that can help you build and grow muscle.
- Rich in micronutrients – bread offers important b-vitamins like thiamin and riboflavin, and cottage cheese is rich in minerals like calcium, phosphorus, and potassium.
- Tasty and versatile – if you don’t love cottage cheese (yet), this might surprise you! But it’s got a surprisingly neutral and versatile flavor that works great on toast with sweet or savory toppings.
Half a cup of cottage cheese contains 97 calories, 12 grams of protein, and 6 grams of carbohydrates!
Is it a meal or a snack?
Cottage cheese toast can be a balanced meal or snack… it just depends on your hunger level and energy needs!
Cottage cheese toast is inherently well balanced because it contains:
- Protein from the cottage cheese
- Carbohydrates from the bread
- Fiber and micronutrients from your toppings
For a filling snack, try one slice of cottage cheese toast. For a more substantial meal, try two slices of cottage cheese toast with extra sides like apple slices, baby carrots, or mini cucumbers.
For extra nutrition, serve your cottage cheese on a hearty bread with more than 3 grams of protein and 2 grams of fiber per slice.
How to make
Making this toast couldn’t be easier! Here’s how:
- Toast your bread: I do this in a toaster, but you could also toast your bread in a pan with olive oil or butter if you prefer.
- Add cottage cheese: I suggest adding ⅓ – ½ cup of cottage cheese on each slice of bread.
- Add additional toppings: Add toppings and enjoy immediately.
My favorite topping combinations
These are my three favorite toast combinations with cottage cheese.
Start with ½ cup of cottage cheese on each toast, then add:
- Blueberry honey – ⅓ cup blueberries, 1 tsp of honey, a pinch of flakey sea salt
- Sweet and salty avocado – ½ small avocado, salt and pepper, drizzle of hot honey
- Tomato pesto – 1 tbsp pesto, 2-3 tomato slices, salt and pepper
Scroll down for more sweet and savory topping combinations. There are so many ways to enjoy this tasty snack, so I’d encourage you to play with ingredients and proportions until you find your favorites!
More savory toast combinations
Here are some other savory topping combinations:
- Boiled eggs, chili oil, and flakey salt
- Cucumber slices, chives, and pickled red onion
- Tomato, avocado, pickled jalapenos, and salt
- Smoked salmon, capers, and red onion
- Proscuitto and cantaloupe
More sweet toast combinations
Here are some other sweet topping combinations:
- Pear slices, honey, and cinnamon
- Peach slices, coconut sugar, and crushed walnuts
- Banana slices, cinnamon, and peanut butter
- Strawberry chia jam and crushed peanuts
- Blackberries and chopped hazelnuts
Add a pinch of salt to your sweet toasts to balance the flavor and enhance sweetness!
Tips to make extra delicious toast
Try these tips and tricks to make your toast extra satisfying:
- Blend your cottage cheese for a smooth texture
- Always add a sprinkle of salt to sweet or savory toasts
- Use a delicious bread like sourdough from a local bakery
- Assemble right before eating to avoid soggy bread
- Toast your bread in a pan with butter or olive oil
- Add herbs, citrus and texture where you can
- Combine sweet and savory toppings
Other articles you’ll love
Cottage Cheese Toast
- 1 toast slice
- 1/3-1/2 cup cottage cheese per toast
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1 tsp honey
- pinch of flakey sea salt
- optional additions: sliced almonds, hemp hearts, lemon zest
Sweet and salty avocado
- 1/2 small avocado, sliced
- drizzle of hot honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional additions: red pepper flakes, everything but the bagel seasoning, chopped pistachios
- 1 tbsp pesto
- 2-3 tomato slices
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional additions: balsamic glaze, chili oil, sliced cucumbers
- Toast your bread in a toaster. Or, try toasting both sides of your bread on a pan with butter or olive oil on medium heat.
- Add cottage cheese.
- Add additional toppings as desired and serve immediately!