Healthy Pineapple Banana Smoothie
This 5-ingredient smoothie is the perfect sweet snack to support your health goals. With frozen pineapple, banana, greek yogurt and hemp seeds, this pineapple banana smoothie is refreshing and delicious… and packs a serious nutritious-punch!
About this recipe
As a Registered Dietitian, I’m a big fan of smoothies.
Not only are smoothies delicious (that’s a given)—they’re super quick to prepare, packed with nutritious ingredients, and they can transport your taste buds straight to the beach.
This pineapple banana smoothie is no exception. Inspired by a delicious pina colada, this refreshing drink is nutritionally balanced and bursting with flavour from frozen pineapple, banana, greek yogurt and hemp seeds.
And did I mention you only need 5-minutes and 5-ingredients to prepare this smoothie recipe? You truly can’t go wrong!
Is this pineapple and banana smoothie healthy?
Absolutely! My job as a balanced dietitian is to help you eat more nutritious foods that leave you feeling like your healthiest self… physically and mentally. And this and other smoothie recipes are packed with nutrition and taste great.
Here are some nutrition benefits of this banana and pineapple smoothie:
- Packed with fiber. Fiber helps with regular digestion, bowel health, blood sugar regulation, heart health and weight management. This pineapple banana smoothie offers fiber from pineapple chunks, banana and hemp seeds.
- Loaded with vitamin C. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that protects your cells from free radical damage. The frozen pineapple chunks in this recipe provide more than the daily recommended dose of vitamin C. So cool!
- High in protein. Protein is important to include in most balanced meals and snacks because it helps regulate blood sugar and keep you full longer. This recipe includes a whopping 17 grams of protein from greek yogurt and hemp seeds!
What you’ll need
To make this sweet and satisfying smoothie recipe, you’ll need these ingredients:
- Frozen pineapple chunks
- Fresh or frozen banana
- Vanilla greek yogurt
- Hemp seeds
How to make this recipe
Honestly, you’ll have trouble finding an easier recipe than this one! To make this pineapple banana smoothie, you’ll need a blender and just 5-minutes of your time.
Here is how to prepare this recipe:
Step 1: Add ingredients to blender.
Add your frozen pineapple chunks, banana, vanilla greek yogurt, hemp seeds and water to a blender.
Step 2: Blend ingredients until smooth.
Blend ingredients together on high speed for 40-seconds or until the mixture is completely smooth. Add additional liquid as required or if you prefer a thinner consistency.
Step 3: Serve immediately.
Serve the smoothie immediately and enjoy!
Substitutions and variations
The beauty of smoothie recipes is that they’re so customizable. With just a few swaps or additions, you can make this smoothie recipe fit your taste and health goals even better!
Here are some ways you can personalise this recipe to you:
- Use fresh pineapple instead of frozen. Frozen pineapple chunks are inexpensive and add a thick, creamy texture to this smoothie. But fresh pineapple chunks work too! Simply swap 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks for 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks. Start with half the recommended liquid and increase as needed.
- Use frozen banana instead of fresh. Frozen banana is just as delicious and nutritious as fresh! Swap 1 small banana for ½ cup frozen banana chunks if you’d prefer. But please note: you may need to add additional liquid.
- Add protein powder. Make this recipe more filling with additional calories and protein. Add 1 scoop of your preferred protein powder alongside other ingredients and blend as instructed. Just make sure you like the taste of your protein powder because it will change the flavor! Add additional liquid as desired.
- Make it plant-based. Swap greek yogurt for coconut yogurt or another plant-based yogurt of your choosing. Plant-based yogurt options don’t always offer as much protein as regular, so it might make the drink less filling and satisfying.
- Swap liquids. For extra flavour, swap the water in this recipe with pineapple juice, orange juice, coconut beverage, almond beverage, dairy milk… or whatever liquid you love!
- Add ice cubes. If you prefer a thicker smoothie, reduce the amount of liquid in this recipe or add 2-3 ice cubes.
Frequently asked questions
Can I make this smoothie ahead of time?
I recommend you make this smoothie right before serving. That’s because pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain, which might cause your smoothie to separate.
Instead, portion and prepare the pineapple, banana and hemp seeds ahead of time. When you’re ready to eat, add your yogurt and water right before blending and enjoy immediately!
Can I add vegetables to this smoothie?
Absolutely! I love adding a handful of fresh spinach to this banana and pineapple smoothie recipe, or even ¼ cup of frozen cauliflower florets. I promise… you can’t taste it!
Can I make this into a smoothie bowl?
Yes, you can make this pineapple and banana smoothie into a smoothie bowl! Start with no liquid and add 1 Tbsp at a time until the smoothie has reached your desired texture. The amount of liquid required will depend on the power of your blender, so start with less and add slowly!
Nutrition by addition
Turn this recipe into a filling and balanced meal by adding extra protein and/or fiber to the side! Pair this pineapple banana smoothie with a piece of whole grain toast with peanut butter, a small cup of oats with protein powder, or two hard boiled eggs. And voila! You’ve got yourself a 5-minute balanced breakfast.
Tip: pairing smoothies with additional food you can chew (instead of sip!) makes them more filling and satisfying. Learn more tips for balanced nutrition in my free guide!
Healthy Pineapple Banana Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 banana, small
- 1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt*
- 1 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- Add frozen pineapple chunks, banana, vanilla greek yogurt, hemp seeds and water to blender.
- Blend ingredients together on high speed for 40-seconds or until the mixture is completely smooth. Add additional liquid as required or if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!