Spicy Chickpea Mash
This spicy chickpea mash is easy, tasty and loaded with fiber. Try as a sandwich, wrap or dip and discover your new healthy lunchtime staple.
If you need a delicious, easy and meat-free lunch for busy weekdays,look no further.
This spicy chickpea mash is a personal favorite. As a registered dietitian, I love it because it offers a whopping 10 grams of filling fiber per serving. And as a human who enjoys good food, I love it simply because it tastes great.
If you love chicken/tuna/egg salad, I think you should give this chickpea salad a chance. Smashed beans can sound a little out there… I KNOW! But this chickpea mash recipe is absolutely perfect for sandwiches, wraps, toast, or dip. You’re going to love it!
Why you need this spicy chickpea mash
There are so many reasons to love this mashed chickpea salad recipe.
Takes minutes to prepare. Rinse beans, throw ingredients in a bowl, and smash. It’s so easy and you’ll walk away with lunch for the entire week.
Heart-healthy. If superfoods exist, beans would top the list. This recipe uses chickpeas instead of meat for a big boost of heart-healthy (and gut-friendly) fiber and phytochemicals.
Versatile. Think of these mashed chickpeas just as you would chicken salad or tuna salad. It’s perfect on toast, in a sandwich, or as a dip with crackers or veggies.
Filling. Fiber is filling–and this smashed chickpea salad has loads of it. Creamy mayonnaise and protein-packed greek yogurt add extra satisfaction too.
Vegetarian. We can all benefit from eating more plants. This recipe is an easy way to add variety and plant protein to your week.
Ingredients and substitutions
You’ll need just 6 ingredients and some seasonings to make this spicy chickpea salad:
- Canned chickpeas–as the base for this chickpea ‘chicken’ salad. For a low sodium option, choose no salt added chickpeas. Canned white beans would work too!
- Sriracha–the spice in this ‘spicy’ chickpea mash! Feel free to adjust the amount to your liking. Buffalo sauce would be tasty too.
- Mayonnaise–every good ‘salad’ needs a little mayo, in my humble opinion. But we don’t use too much to keep it light and healthy!
- Greek yogurt–I love mixing mayonnaise with plain greek yogurt for a little extra protein. Use whatever fat percentage of greek yogurt you like best.
- Green onions–these add the perfect flavor, so try not to skip them! If you don’t have green onions, you could use finely chopped red onion instead.
- Lemon juice–adds some brightness and extra flavor. Freshly squeezed juice tastes best, but you can use bottled if that’s all you have.
- Salt and pepper–to taste! it doesn’t need too much because the sriracha packs lots of salt and flavor.
How to serve spicy chickpea mash
You can use this smashed chickpea recipe just as you would chicken salad, egg salad or tuna salad:
- On toast
- On a wrap
- In a sandwich
- On rice cakes
- With a spoon (it’s that good)
- As a dip with crackers and/or vegetables
What to add to chickpea salad sandwiches
Try these extra toppings, especially if you’re serving this recipe as a chickpea salad sandwich, wrap or toast.
- Fresh herbs
- Tomato slices
- Avocado slices
- Sriracha drizzle
- Cucumber slices
- Pickled red onions
- Thinly sliced carrot
- Mixed baby lettuce
- Fresh mozzarella slices
How to make this recipe
Here’s how to make the best spicy chickpea mash for sandwiches, toast and dip.
Step 1: Add ingredients to a large mixing bowl
Add rinsed and drained chickpeas, sriracha, mayonnaise, plain greek yogurt, green onions, lemon juice, salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl.
Step 2: Mash ingredients together
Using a fork or potato masher, mash chickpeas with other ingredients until they are well combined and chickpeas are broken down. The final mixture should have some ‘chunks’ remaining for texture.
Step 3: Garnish and serve!
If serving immediately, prepare your sandwich, toast or dip, garnish as desired, and enjoy! If you’re making this for later, store in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
Frequently asked questions
What’s the best way to mash chickpeas?
My favorite method is to mash chickpeas against the side of a large mixing bowl using a sturdy fork. A potato masher works too, but it might be harder to clean!
Do I need to remove the chickpea skins before mashing?
Nope! Once everything is mashed you can’t notice a difference.
How much should I mash the chickpeas?
You can mash the chickpeas as much or as little as you enjoy. I prefer them half mashed – where the mixture combines into one cohesive and scoopable salad but retains some texture from the chickpeas.
What if I don’t like sriracha?
This particular recipe needs something spicy to make it taste good! If you don’t have or don’t like sriracha, try it with buffalo sauce or another hot sauce of your choosing. Just be careful with how much you add–start with less and add more as needed!
If you don’t like spice, try this easy chicken salad recipe instead!
How long will this last in the fridge?
When stored in the fridge in an airtight container, this spicy chickpea mash will last up to 4 days.
Can I make chickpea salad sandwiches ahead of time?
I recommend storing this chickpea mash separately, and assembling as a sandwich/wrap/dip right before serving. If you make sandwiches ahead of time, they might go soggy.
Need more easy healthy lunch recipes?
Try these other easy, healthy lunch recipes:
This recipe was adapted from the 5-minute spicy chickpea salad from Pinch of Yum.
Spicy Chickpea Mash
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained, 19 fl oz or 540 ml
- 3-4 tbsp sriracha
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt, any fat %
- 2 green onions, ends removed and finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced, or 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add ingredients to a large mixing bowl: Add rinsed and drained chickpeas, sriracha, mayonnaise, plain greek yogurt, green onions, lemon juice, salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl.
- Mash ingredients together: Using a fork or potato masher, mash chickpeas with other ingredients until they are well combined and chickpeas are broken down. The final mixture should have some 'chunks' remaining for texture.
- Garnish and serve: If serving immediately, prepare your sandwich, toast or dip, garnish as desired, and enjoy! If you’re making this for later, store in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.