The Best Blueberry Pineapple Smoothie
Looking for a delicious, healthy smoothie recipe that will keep you full for hours? This blueberry pineapple smoothie won’t disappoint! With 33 grams of protein, 8 grams of fiber and no added sugars, this easy smoothie will nourish your body and satisfy your soul.
Why you’ll love this recipe
This is one of those recipes you’ll come back to again and again because it’s packed with nutrition and actually tastes good.
You’ll love this pineapple blueberry smoothie because it’s:
Rich in antioxidants. Did you know that a single cup of blueberries might contain over 9000 antioxidants? Antioxidants help protect cells from free radical damage–and this recipe has loads of them from blueberries, pineapple and spinach.
Incredibly refreshing. You might not think blueberries and pineapple go well together, but they make the most delicious fruity combo!
Free from added sugars. The only sugar you’re getting in this recipe is naturally occurring. So if blood sugar management is on your mind, this recipe’s got you covered.
Packed with protein and fiber. Greek yogurt, protein powder and chia seeds: my not-so-secret dietitian combo for a smoothie with a major boost of protein and fiber. These nutrients support your health and fitness, and will keep you full for hours!
The perfect easy breakfast or snack. Try this smoothie with a satisfying piece of peanut butter toast for a 5-minute healthy breakfast, or serve it as an easy, protein-packed snack.
Ingredients and substitutions
You’ll only need 6 ingredients to make this blueberry and pineapple smoothie.
- Frozen blueberries – you can use fresh too, but your final product might be a little thinner in consistency, and definitely not as cold!
- Frozen pineapple – again, feel free to use fresh! Just be sure to start with less liquid if you’re using all fresh fruit instead of frozen or your smoothie will be runny.
- Plain greek yogurt – for protein, creaminess and a hint of delicious tart flavor. Feel free to sub with a plant-based option to make this smoothie vegan.
- Baby spinach – this is optional! It will change the color or your smoothie but it will still taste delicious, I promise.
- Chia seeds – chia seeds offer so much nutrition with healthy fats and fiber… don’t skip them!
- Vanilla protein powder – this will take this smoothie from a snack to a meal. Try my favorite vanilla whey protein powder or use what you have at home!
- Water – dairy milk, soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk or any liquid you love will work too. I love water for this specific recipe because it doesn’t alter the flavor.
How to make this blueberry pineapple smoothie
To make this easy smoothie, grab your ingredients and your favorite high speed blender.
Step 1: Add ingredients to blender.
Add blueberries, pineapple, greek yogurt, spinach, chia seeds, protein powder and ¼ cup water or other liquid to your blender.
Step 2: Blend and add more water as needed.
Blend your smoothie for up to 30-seconds or until completely smooth. If desired, add remaining water or other liquid and blend again until completely smooth, about 10-15 additional seconds.
Continue adding water or other liquid until the smoothie has reached your desired consistency.
Step 3: Serve and enjoy!
Immediately serve and enjoy your smoothie.
- Make at least one of your fruits frozen for the best final texture. If you’re using all fresh fruit, use a little less water and add ice!
- A great blender is essential for a smooth and delicious texture, especially if you like your smoothies thick! This is my favorite blender.
- If you don’t have protein powder, use vanilla greek yogurt instead of plain. A little vanilla sweetness really helps this smoothie shine.
- Rinse your blade immediately after blending because chia seeds are hard to wash off once they’ve dried.
- This smoothie is best enjoyed immediately after blending. If you want to meal prep this smoothie, read on for instructions and tips.
How to meal prep this smoothie
I would not recommend blending this smoothie in advance to enjoy later.
That’s because smoothies can separate and lose their creamy, frozen texture as they sit.
And this recipe has a good dose of pineapple, which contains an enzyme that breaks down protein called bromelain. Bromelain can accelerate or worsen those textural changes!
Instead, add your portioned fruit, spinach, chia seeds and protein powder to individual freezer-safe food containers or reusable bags. When you’re ready to enjoy your smoothie, empty the contents into your blender, add yogurt and water, and blend. Easy!
Frequently asked questions
Can I use fresh fruit?
Yes! But it will make the smoothie a thinner consistency and the final product won’t be as cold. If you’re using all fresh fruit instead of frozen, use a little less liquid and add 2-3 ice cubes.
Do blueberries and pineapple taste good together?
Surprisingly, yes! Blueberries and pineapple are one of my favorite combinations to use in smoothies because they create the perfect sweet and refreshing flavor.
How can I make this smoothie vegan?
This blueberry pineapple smoothie can be made vegan by using a plant-based yogurt and protein powder.
Is this smoothie thick or thin?
It’s totally up to you! Use less liquid for a thicker consistency, and more liquid for a thinner, sippable consistency. I like mine thinner so I can enjoy it with a straw.
Will this smoothie work as a smoothie bowl?
Absolutely! Simply make sure you use frozen fruit (not fresh), and add no more than ¼ cup liquid. Once blended, add to a bowl and top with nut butter, granola, shredded coconut or your other favorite toppings.
More healthy smoothie recipes
The Best Blueberry Pineapple Smoothie
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1-2 handfuls baby spinach, optional
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, optional
- 1/4-1/2 cup water, adjust for desired consistency
- Add ingredients to blender: Add blueberries, pineapple, greek yogurt, spinach, chia seeds, protein powder and ¼ cup water or other liquid to your blender.
- Blend and add more water as needed: Blend your smoothie for up to 30-seconds or until completely smooth. If desired, add remaining water or other liquid and blend again until completely smooth, about 10-15 additional seconds. Continue adding water or other liquid until the smoothie has reached your desired consistency.
- Serve and enjoy immediately!