Try these easy nutella overnight oats for breakfast or meal prep. This healthy recipe is loaded with filling protein and fiber, packed with nutrition, and takes less than 5-minutes to make.
What’s better than a delicious bowl of overnight oats for breakfast?
Overnight oats with NUTELLA. That’s what.
These nutella overnight oats are creamy, chocolatey and absolutely loaded with filling protein and fiber. They’re satisfying and super nutrient-dense. And they are easy and super quick to prepare. You’re going to love them.
And hey, I’m Miranda! A Registered Dietitian on a mission to make healthy eating easier with simple recipes and doable nutrition tips. If you need more quick and easy healthy breakfast ideas, try these:
Why you’ll love this recipe
So easy. You might not have time for breakfast, but you will have time for these overnight oats. All you need is 5-minutes and a fridge.
Great for meal prep. This recipe stays good in the fridge for 3-4 days. So you can make a few jars on Sunday and have a delicious grab-and-go breakfast ready all week long.
Filling. The key to a balanced meal or snack that keeps you full is protein and fiber. This recipe is high in both.
Satisfying. Chocolate makes everything taste delicious, of course. But this recipe also packs a not-so-secret ingredient with satisfying healthy fats: hemp seeds.
NUTELLA. A healthy breakfast with chocolate-hazelnut-goodness. Need I say more?
Are oats good for you?
Despite what the biohacking bros might claim, oats ARE super good for you. Let’s break down some health benefits:
- Heart health–oats are rich in the soluble fiber beta-glucan, which can help reduce risk of heart disease.
- Blood sugar–fiber in oats helps slow their blood sugar response. When paired with protein and fats, oats can help keep you full and energized for a long time.
- Weight management–oats can help slow digestion and regulate appetite. If weight loss is your goal, they’re an awesome food to enjoy.
- Digestion–the cereal fibers in oats and other whole grains are particularly great for preventing constipation and keeping things moving.
- Gut health–oats contain resistant starch, which is a prebiotic that helps feed the good bacteria in your gut microbiome.
What oats are best for overnight oats?
You’ll want to look for oats labelled as ‘old fashioned,’ ‘rolled oats,’ or ‘large flake oats’.
These kinds of oats are more processed than steel cut oats, but less processed than quick oats. They are large, flat and flakey.
Old fashioned or large flake oats are great for overnight oats because they will absorb liquid… but not too much! So you’ll end up with a nice, creamy mixture with some pleasant chew and texture.
You can use quick oats if you’d like, but the final texture will be a bit more gluey and mushy. I would not recommend using instant oats in this recipe.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Old fashioned oats. Also known as rolled oats or large flake oats. You could use quick oats if you’d like, but the texture will be more mushy.
- Milk. I suggest dairy milk (any fat percentage you like!) or soy milk for extra protein. This will make the oats more filling than if you use almond milk or oat milk.
- Plain greek yogurt. For a protein boost! Don’t go overboard here or the tangy yogurt flavour will take over.
- Hemp seeds. These are optional, but I’d recommend giving them a try. Hemp seeds are loaded with healthy fats, fiber and plant protein. They’re so nutritious!
- Nutella. You have my permission to add extra!
- Cocoa powder. Added for extra chocolate flavour. You can leave this out if you don’t have any on hand.
- Salt. Salt always helps enhance sweet flavors. Don’t skip this!
How to make nutella overnight oats
Step 1: Mix ingredients together.
In a mason jar or food storage container with a secure lid, combine all ingredients. Stir with a spoon until well combined.
Step 2: Rest in the fridge.
Secure lid on mason jar or container and place oats in the fridge. Remove from fridge and transfer to bowl before serving. Add toppings and enjoy!
Toppings and variations
Try these toppings to add nutrition and satisfaction to these nutella overnight oats:
- Peanut butter
- Crushed nuts
- Chocolate granola
- Extra nutella
Tips for success
- Use oats labelled ‘old fashioned,’ ‘rolled oats,’ or ‘large flake oats’ for the best texture. Avoid instant oats or steel cut oats.
- Make sure ingredients are well mixed before placing in the fridge to ensure an even texture.
- Add toppings right before enjoying for maximum freshness.
- Don’t skip the pinch of salt because it enhances the flavour.
Frequently asked questions
How can I make this recipe vegan?
Nutella overnight oats can easily be made vegan by swapping nutella for a vegan chocolate spread like this one, using soy milk, and omitting the greek yogurt.
Are oats gluten-free?
Yes. But if you have celiac disease, only purchase oats labelled gluten-free. Cross-contamination is common in processing.
Can I meal prep this recipe?
Yes, this recipe can be made ahead of time. I recommend using individually-portioned containers and preparing up to 3 days in advance.
What is the best container for overnight oats?
Any food storage container with a secure lid will work. Mason jars or glass containers with screw-on lids work best.
Can I serve these warm?
Yes, they can be enjoyed warm or cold! Simply transfer to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 45-seconds. If they need more time, microwave in additional 10-second increments and stir in between.
Nutella Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup large flake oats
- 1/2 cup dairy milk or milk of choice
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp nutella
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- pinch salt
- In a mason jar or food storage container with a secure lid, combine all ingredients. Stir with a spoon until well combined.
- Secure lid on mason jar or container and place oats in fridge. Remove from fridge and transfer to bowl before serving. Add toppings and enjoy!
Amazing!! A new weekly breakfast for me
So glad you liked it!!
These were hearty, decadent and kept me full for hours! Subbed flax for hemp bc that’s what I had. Topped with seeds and bananas, yum!
Thank you so much, Jenn! I’m so glad you enjoyed it. It’s SO good with bananas on top too!
4 Comments on Nutella Overnight Oats