This 5-ingredient creamy salsa dressing is perfect for salads or as a dip. Pair this easy, healthy recipe with taco salad, nachos, fajitas or veggie platters.
Salsa is delicious. I think we can all agree on that.
But it’s just not enough to be a good salad dressing. You know? It’s missing fat. It doesn’t have that creamy mouthfeel. And when I top my tacos or nacho salads with salsa alone, things just don’t satisfy like I want them to.
Enter: creamy salsa dressing.
This easy recipe combines delicious salads with sour cream, lime juice, hot sauce and salt for all the flavour and satisfaction you need. Use this as a salad dressing, taco topper, or veggie dip. It’s nourishing, delicious and versatile!
If you’re new here, I’m Miranda! I’m a Registered Dietitian helping you get healthier without feeling deprived. Learn more about my story of finding balance with food or browse more easy recipes.
Other recipes you’ll love:
Easy nacho salad (pairs perfectly with this recipe!)
Starbucks copycat honey citrus mint tea
Why you’ll love this recipe
Easy. This recipe comes together in seconds but brings all the satisfaction of something store bought.
Creamy and delicious. Fact: veggies need to be paired with something creamy to taste good and this recipe does just the trick.
Lighter than most creamy dressings. If you like to use a LOT of dressing like I do, a slightly lighter version like this one will leave you feeling great.
It’s got nutrition too. Last time I checked, salsa was made of veggies… ha! But seriously, the salsa and lime juice bring some vitamins to the table, and that’s never a bad thing.
Ingredients and substitutions
You’ll need only 5-ingredients to make this creamy salsa dressing for salads or dip:
- Sour cream–I used light sour cream, but not non-fat. Choose the fat percentage that satisfies you and aligns with your health goals!
- Salsa–make sure to use a salsa you love because this flavor will dominate!
- Lime juice–acidity helps balance flavours. You just need a squeeze!
- Hot sauce–this doesn’t add too much spice, I promise. But feel free to leave this out.
- Salt–because everything tasty needs a little salt. Just a pinch!
How to make creamy salsa salad dressing
Step 1: Combine ingredients in a bowl.
Add sour cream, salsa, lime juice, hot sauce, and salt to a bowl. Mix until well combined.
Step 2: Store or serve.
Add dressing to your meal and enjoy! If you have extra or want to save for later, store dressing in an airtight container in the fridge.
Variations and swaps
- High protein: swap sour cream for greek yogurt.
- Vegan: substitute sour cream for vegan yogurt or mayonnaise.
- Spicy: add 1-2 Tbsp of canned green chillies.
- Ranch: add 1-2 Tbsp of ranch seasoning.
- Taco: add 1-2 Tbsp of taco seasoning.
What to serve with creamy salsa dressing
This recipe is perfect as a salad dressing, veggie dip, or taco topper. You can serve it with:
- Nacho salad
- Taco salad
- Raw veggies
- French fries
- Zucchini fries
Frequently asked questions
Can’t I just use salsa?
Sure! Use whatever condiment satisfies you and aligns with your health goals.
What if I prefer full fat sour cream?
Use whatever fat percentage you love the most! Full fat sour cream will make this dressing a bit more calorie-dense, but equally as delicious.
How can I make this dressing more smooth?
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, about 10-15 seconds.
Can I use greek yogurt instead?
Yes, you can swap sour cream for greek yogurt, regular plain yogurt, or mayonnaise. Using greek yogurt will make this dip higher in protein, but it will make for a more tangy flavor.
Can I make this dressing in advance?
Yes, combine ingredients and store in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge. Stir well before serving.
Want to learn more about balanced nutrition?
Check out these popular posts:
- How to stop boredom eating
- Is Athletic Greens (AG1) worth it?
- 30 Healthy snacks to keep you full
- Does sea moss work for weight loss?
- 6 Signs you have an unhealthy relationship with food
Creamy salsa dressing
- 1/2 cup light or 5% sour cream or fat percentage of choice
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 lime, juiced or 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- pinch salt
- Add sour cream, salsa, lime juice, hot sauce, and salt to a bowl.
- Mix until well combined. Add dressing to your meal and enjoy!
[…] Creamy salsa dressing […]
1 Comment on Creamy Salsa Dressing