Easy Buffalo Chicken Flatbread Pizza
Say no to takeout! This delicious and easy buffalo chicken flatbread pizza is quicker and tastier than takeout… and it’s high-protein to support your health goals.
How many times have you reluctantly ordered takeout because the elaborate, healthy dinner you had planned just sounded too bland and way too much work?
No judgement! I’ve been there too. But if there’s one thing I know for sure as a dietitian and nutrition expert, it’s that food needs to be simple and satisfying if you want to form healthy eating habits that actually stick.
That’s why this recipe for buffalo chicken flatbread pizza is the new staple you need in your healthy eating journey.
It’s quick and easy, so you can actually get nourishing food on the table without cooking for hours. It’s genuinely delicious, so you won’t be missing that indulgent takeout burger. And it’s created by a dietitian, so you know it’s nourishing and filling too.
In this post, I’ll share how to make this simple recipe so you have a new option for your weeknight meal rotation. I’ll also explain how to serve this recipe in a healthy way (it’s all about nutrition by addition!) and how to make dietary adjustments to fit your needs and goals!
Why you’ll love buffalo chicken flatbread pizza
- Faster than takeout – you can make and eat this recipe in less time than it takes to order and wait for takeout.
- Genuinely delicious – eating balanced meals that taste good can help you finally stick with healthy habits and stop overeating for good.
- High protein – one buffalo chicken flatbread contains an impressive 36 grams of protein to support weight loss goals, fitness progress, and keep you full.
- Customizable – it’s easy to boost protein, add veggies, or limit fats in this recipe with a few simple tweaks.
- No cooking skill required – I promise, this recipe is as easy as they come.
You’ll need seven simple ingredients (plus a few optional toppings) to make this delicious buffalo chicken flatbread:
- Flatbread or naan – I recommend using storebought flatbread or naan to keep things quick and easy. You can use plain flatbreads or try a flavor like garlic!
- Chopped chicken – this recipe calls for chopped rotisserie chicken or pre-cooked chicken breast to save time. It’s a great recipe if you have leftover chicken from another meal or made some in meal prep.
- Buffalo sauce – I used Frank’s RedHot but you could also try this yummy option from Primal Kitchen or any buffalo sauce you like.
- Green onion
- Red onion
- Shredded mozzarella
- Feta cheese – you can swap this for blue cheese or leave it out entirely.
Want to build healthy habits but tend to over-complicate things and totally fall off track? Try this simple 3-day dietitian meal plan.
Here’s how to make this tasty buffalo chicken flatbread pizza recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a cooking tray with parchment paper.
- Lightly spray both sides of your flatbread with cooking spray. Add flatbread to the parchment-lined tray and bake for 5 minutes on the center rack. Remove flatbread from the oven and set aside.
- Mix chicken and buffalo sauce in a small bowl until chicken is evenly coated. Pour chicken and sauce mixture onto the flatbread and distribute evenly with a spoon or your fingers.
- Top flatbreads with mozzarella, feta, red onion, and about half of your sliced green onion.
- Return the flatbread to the oven and bake for an additional 12-14 minutes or until cheese is bubbled, and flatbread is golden and crisp.
- If desired, drizzle flatbread with low fat sour cream and top with remaining green onions. Slice into 4-6 pieces and enjoy immediately!
Extra toppings for buffalo chicken flatbread pizza
One of the reasons I love this recipe is because it’s so easy to customize. Add these extra toppings before cooking for more flavor and fun:
- Bell pepper slices
- Pickled jalapenos
- Bacon crumbles
- Garlic slices
- Red pepper flakes
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Parmesan cheese
You could also top your cooked buffalo chicken flatbread pizza with a drizzle of hot honey, ranch, or blue cheese dressing.
- Higher protein: add extra chicken or try a high-protein flatbread
- Gluten-free: use a gluten-free flatbread or mini pizza crust
- Dairy-free: use dairy-free cheese or omit cheese entirely
- Low carb: try a carb-smart flatbread
- Vegetarian: use half cup canned and rinsed chickpeas instead of chicken
How to serve buffalo chicken flatbread pizza
As a Registered Dietitian, I designed this recipe to be nourishing and filling on its own.
But it’s always helpful to add to foods like flatbread to increase nutrition, volume, and satiety.
I’d recommend serving this buffalo chicken flatbread pizza with a few big handfuls of veggies. That extra fiber is not just great for digestion, it can help you feel more content from meals so you stop thinking about food all the time too.
Try serving this flatbread with raw snacking vegetables like carrot sticks, celery sticks, sliced bell peppers, sliced radishes, snap peas, or cherry tomatoes.
Or you could serve this with roasted or air fried veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, zucchini, or brussels sprouts. Season these with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper before cooking.
Toast is another quick, easy, and super cheap meal option. Learn how to top your toast like a dietitian here.
Frequently asked questions
Wait until buffalo chicken flatbread has reached room temperature. Then, tightly wrap in plastic wrap or add to an airtight container before storing in the fridge. Buffalo chicken flatbread pizzas will stay in the fridge for up to four days.
There’s a few different options to reheat this buffalo chicken flatbread pizza. I personally prefer reheating in a skillet as this tutorial shows. Another great option is to reheat in your pre-heated air fryer at 400 F for 2-3 minutes. You could reheat in the microwave for about 90-seconds, but this will be less crisp. If you’re packing the flatbread for lunch and don’t have access to a kitchen, you can also serve it cold.
Yes, you can make buffalo chicken flatbread pizza in the air fryer! I’d recommend checking that your flatbread fits flat in your air fryer first. You can follow the same temperature instructions, but I’d start with less cooking time (7-minutes) to avoid burning. Cook for an additional 2-minutes at a time as needed, until cheese is bubbling and flatbread is crisp.
Yes, you can prepare this recipe ahead of time and store in the fridge for up to four days. Use the re-heat instructions provided in this FAQ.
This recipe makes for one single-serving flatbread. Simply assemble more flatbreads using the same instructions if you would like to prepare additional servings.
Easy Buffalo Chicken Flatbread Pizza
- 1 small flatbread or naan
- 1/2 cup chopped cooked skinless chicken breast, or rotisserie chicken
- 3 Tbsp buffalo sauce
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp red onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 1-2 Tbsp light sour cream, optional
- Prepare oven: Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a cooking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cook flatbread by itself: Lightly spray both sides of your flatbread with cooking spray. Add to parchment lined cooking sheet and bake for 5 minutes on the center rack. Remove flatbread from oven and set aside.
- Add toppings: Mix chicken and buffalo sauce in a small bowl until chicken is evenly coated. Pour chicken and sauce mixture onto flatbread and distribute evenly with a spoon or your fingers. Top with mozzarella, feta, red onion, and about half of your sliced green onion.
- Cook flatbread with toppings: Return the flatbread to the oven and bake for an additional 12-14 minutes or until cheese is bubbled, and flatbread is golden and crisp.
- Garnish and enjoy: If desired, drizzle flatbread with low fat sour cream and top with remaining green onions. Slice into 6 pieces and enjoy immediately!