Chocolate Berry Smoothie
Say hello to the creamy, healthy breakfast of your dreams: my chocolate berry smoothie! This nutritious and delicious blend will leave you full and satisfied for hours.
Some might say smoothies are a near-perfect meal for healthy eaters.
As a registered dietitian who wants you to finally get consistent with food in a way that feels effortless and sustainable, I am most definitely part of that group.
Smoothies are SO easy to pack with nutrition. They’re a high volume and super filling food (when you know how to build them). Smoothies take next to no cooking skill. They’re tasty. The list of smoothie benefits goes on and on and on.
And this chocolate berry smoothie is no exception. This rich, creamy blend of nourishing ingredients is as satisfying as it is nutritious.
You’re going to love this easy, healthy recipe for breakfast, snacks, or dare I say… dessert?! Read on to learn how to make this simple 5-minute meal you’ll love.
Why this chocolate berry smoothie is great
If a smoothie has made it into my regular rotation, two things must be true: it’s got to be nutrient-dense and it has to be genuinely tasty too.
This chocolate berry smoothie is no exception! Here’s a few reasons you’ll love it:
- It’s absolutely packed with protein. This unassuming smoothie is loaded with protein to keep you feeling full and support your fitness goals.
- It’s high in fiber. Can you believe this chocolate berry smoothie has 11 grams of fiber per serving? That’s over a third of most women’s daily fiber needs! Fiber makes this smoothie extra filling, and supports better digestion and heart health too.
- It’s veggie-friendly. This easy recipe is great for vegetarians and can easily be made plant-based!
- It’s meal-sized. Too many smoothies are low calorie and unbalanced. This smoothie will actually serve as a small but mighty breakfast or filling snack.
- It’s delish. Creamy, rich, and decadent. You’ll hardly know it’s good for you! I only share healthy recipes I actually enjoy, so you know this one’s super satisfying.
Are smoothies or juices better for your health? Read this in-depth comparison of smoothies vs juice by a trusted dietitian.
You’ll need seven everyday ingredients to make this chocolate berry smoothie:
- Frozen mixed berries – berries are an awesome fruit for smoothies because they’re high-fiber and low-sugar. And they’re delicious! Sub for any frozen berry you love.
- Banana – adds extra sweetness and creaminess. Frozen banana works best for a thick and cold smoothie, but you can use fresh if needed.
- Milk – I love good ol’ dairy milk for the extra protein and nutrition! You could also use soy milk (another high-protein choice), almond milk, oat milk, or any alternative you like.
- Chocolate protein powder – any chocolate protein powder will do. This adds a lot of protein, so if you leave it out, it won’t be as balanced or filling. Feel free to swap with other flavors of protein powder if you need to.
- Cocoa powder – for delicious chocolate-y flavor! Don’t skip this.
- Hemp seeds – I found hemp seeds to offer the best, subtle nutty flavor for this smoothie. But you could also use ground flaxseed, almond butter, or peanut butter.
- Salt – a pinch is essential for all things sweet because it enhances and harmonizes flavors! Trust me, you won’t want to leave this out.
How to make a chocolate berry smoothie
This chocolate berry smoothie couldn’t be easier to make!
Simply combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, about 45 seconds. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Try one of these simple swaps or additions:
- Cashew – add a few tablespoons of roasted unsalted cashews.
- Peanut butter – swap hemp seeds for a big scoop of natural peanut butter.
- Salted caramel – swap chocolate protein powder for another flavor like this salted caramel whey protein by Legion.
- Dairy-free – use a plant-based milk alternative and protein powder.
- Blueberry – swap mixed berries for all frozen blueberries (or raspberries, or strawberries… whichever berry you like best!).
- Hidden veg – add ¼ cup frozen riced cauliflower for a veggie boost you won’t see or taste.
Tips for success
- If your smoothie is too thin, add a few ice cubes
- If your smoothie is too thick, add an extra splash of milk
- Use frozen berries and banana for an ideal smoothie texture
- Explore toppings like cacao nibs, granola or vanilla greek yogurt for extra satisfaction
- Pair this smoothie with another small snack like toast (something you can chew!) if it doesn’t keep you full
Try these helpful kitchen tools to make this chocolate berry smoothie:
These are affiliate links. If you purchase from these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Frequently asked questions
This chocolate berry smoothie would be delicious with 1-2 Medjool dates or a squeeze of honey for extra sweetness. You could also add extra cocoa powder or a pinch of espresso powder to enhance the chocolate-y flavor.
Smoothies have the best taste and texture when they’re blended right before eating. Instead of letting a blended smoothie sit in the fridge, I’d recommend preparing all dry ingredients in a freezer-safe silicon bag and storing in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat, dump the contents of your bag into a blender, add liquid, and blend!
You do not have to use protein powder to enjoy this smoothie. However, protein powder adds a substantial amount of protein and chocolate-y taste. If you omit protein powder, I’d recommend adding an extra 1-2 tsp of cocoa powder and serving the smoothie with another protein-rich food to make sure it keeps you full.
Absolutely! This smoothie would be delicious with vanilla, salted caramel, or cinnamon protein powder flavors, or any other varieties you enjoy.
I would recommend adding a handful of spinach or ¼ cup of frozen riced cauliflower to give this smoothie a veggie boost.
More healthy smoothie recipes
Chocolate Berry Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 frozen ripe banana
- 1 cup milk
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 2 tsp cocoa powder, optional
- 1 Tbsp hemp hearts
- pinch of salt
- 1 Blender
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, about 45 seconds. Serve immediately and enjoy!